Upon conversing with my friends of over the weekend the subject of blogging arose, 90% of my fellows have the opinion that it is a useless commodity. Something that ‘Geeks’ and ‘Wanna-be reporters’ do to try and make a difference. The other 10% (me and one other) disagreed. We are of the opinion that Blogging is a powerful tool, a tool in which Governments fear and Celebrities curse. You see a blog takes only one. One to find a story. One to print it. Bloggers hands are not tied by such fickle things as Political Correctness or good taste. Bloggers have no chief editor scouring there work making it ‘printable’. What we write is published. Warts and all.
In the past, Hell..not even a month ago i would of agreed with them. I would if sat there, pint in hand laughing at those “saddo’s” wasting their life away. toasting their inequalities. Thinking they are somehow beneath me. That is until i actually tried it, and boy is it addictive.
This stirred me. I started to think of other things which i have hated without cause, some of which i have come to love:
Golf: Sport of the rich, the socially inept. Not content with ruining miles of country side they slap extortionate green fee’s on members, making it near impossible for the working class to join. How my views have changed! I now realise my i was speaking from sheer jealousy. Having seen an elderly gentleman drive a 300 yarder as a child i came to the conclusion that Golf was easy, so easy in fact that men of 80 years old could play it with ease. Boy, was i wrong. cue me spending many infuriating hours trying to hit the ball, never mind sending it 300 yards! In the end i quit. Flash forward 10 years and I’m now a member if a club, having regular lessons of a pro and enjoying every minute. it wasn’t until i learned to play the game that i came to love it.
Fish: As a child i hated fish, and i mean really hated it. It revolted me. So much so that if my mother cooked it i would refuse to eat it, and go to bed hungry. this was stubbornness to the max. Having never actually tried the fish how did i know it was revolting? I just did. as children do. Having now plucked up the courage to try this mean cuisine i can report that is isn’t as bad as i thought, but im still not overly keen. I have no idea what it is, the fish itself doesn’t taste bad. Theres just something there i dont like!
Immigrants/Immigration: “There only here to scrounge off us right”. Wrong. Long was my opinion that all immigrants should be ‘shipped back’, my blood used to boil with stories of them claiming our dole and raping our women (only we can do that!). What happened? I opened my eyes. Immigration to an extent is vital to our economy. I have the upmost respect for anybody willing to work in such an openly prejudice country, to clean up after fat cats wiping their arse with our money. To cook food for people who look down upon them. To treat the injured who are secretly thinking “go back home”. Lets me put it this way, and Rupert Murdoch, I hope you are reading this. For long has your newspaper been churning out utter garbage. I would rather have a polish worker fix a leaking pipe than some lazy, arrogant, the world owes me a favour because i’m British, Sun reading moron. Do you want to know why firms hire immigrants? Its because they work harder than you, there actually grateful to be working our low skilled jobs, they dont think “I’m better than this”, they just get on with the job in hand. Dont get me wrong, there is a lot of hard working brits out there, just like there is a minority of lazy immigrants. These Brits are genuinely out of work for no reason of their own. They are angry and have families to support, but dont blame immigration. Because remember this, If this country wasn’t in recession, and you hadn’t lost your job, would you even think about becoming a cleaner? A factory worker? Running a corner shop? If you answered yes to that. Your a liar.